Sunday, June 7, 2009

Everybody hopes to get through.

Sleeping In - Nevertheless



I've been sleeping in for days,

'Cause when I am awake,

I will have to face my life.

And I'm hoping it's a phase.

The walls that I create

Can only make it seem all right.

And I get carried away like I'm the only one

Who's ever felt the way that I do,

But I can hear you say, "You're not the only one.

Everybody hopes to get through."



And it's got me sleeping in.

Every day God, it's the same thing.

Yeah, you caught me sleeping in.

I'm still hiding; I'm still waiting.

I need you here with me to face the world outside

'Cause I'm tired of sleeping in.



I've been waking up with fear,

'Cause all that I can hear

Is the ringing of alarms downtown.

It's been going on for years,

But you have made it clear

That I am not alone in this crowd.

And I get carried away like I'm the only one

Who's ever felt the way that I do,

But I can hear you say, "You're not the only one.

Everybody hopes to get through."



And it's got me sleeping in.

Every day God, it's the same thing.

Yeah, you caught me sleeping in.

I'm still hiding; I'm still waiting.

I need you here with me to face the world outside

'Cause I'm tired of sleeping in.



Open up my eyes.

I'm tired of sleeping in

In a world that's dying to wake up.



I'm done with sleeping in.




I really like this song. I think it has a lot for us to learn from. We're all sleeping and we don't know it. When you're asleep, are you aware of it? Can you think to yourself "I'm asleep right now"? No, when we're asleep, we're unmoving (with exceptions), unresponsive, and we do absolutely nothing. You can't live your life asleep, but people, just as myself, do just that more often than not. However, what I really like about this song is not the sleeping part, but what the verses have to say.

What they're talking about is our problems. We tend to want our problems to look bigger to everyone else and therefore, have the attention that we desire. If someone says "I have a problem with self-abuse" then people are going to try to help that person. I do believe that that is a serious issue and that the person should be helped, but you have to think about why they're doing that in the first place. It's because they feel an emptiness inside of them; a hole that they're trying to fill. They know that there's something missing, so they just make stuff up to get what they think will satisfy them. If people give them attention, then they won't feel alone in this world. It ends up being a viscous cycle that runs our lives.

However, when people start focusing on their issues, then they think they're the only ones. We think that we're the only people hurting, when really, millions and millions of people are suffering from the same thing. No body is going to have a life where something horrible didn't happen to them. It's a part of living in this fallen world and broken age. We focus on the bad things in our lives and not looking to see exactly where our lives should be. That's why we're in the rut that we are. Apart from God, there is something in us that's lacking and, by God's grace, He has put it in every single person to know that there is something more than this life. However, when we don't know what it is we're missing, we do what we can to satisfy it ourselves and oddly enough, we're never satisfied. Even when we get the big steaks and the filling pies, we end up hungry time after time, always going back to get more. That's how it is for those things; the "happiness" is artificial, it's temporary, it's fake. But we think it's going to make us happy.

We're never in as bad a spot as we think we are. All we want is the attention. I'm guilty of it, you are, everyone we know. I'm not saying that issues aren't real, yours aren't the worst. I'll tell you Whose was.

Jesus died in place for you. The awful things you've done, He's paid for with His blood. We've heard it time and time again, in Sunday School, at church, at family devotions, and the concept becomes numb. It doesn't have the amazing effect that we want it to. Everyone takes this free gift from God for granted because "everyone has it". The reality is, Jesus did something we couldn't possibly ever do to pay for our sins. We, in and of ourselves, cannot pay for our sins. Not by works, by doing the right things, by getting baptized, by putting on the Christian persona. It's all worthless and means nothing in terms for payment to our God. But He made it possible through His only Son's shed blood. Do you realize what He did? He did nothing wrong; we did. But God, the Creator of the universe, the Maker of everything, the Captain of your soul, suffered worse than all our troubles on this earth combined and doubled. We cannot understand the ammount of pain that God the Father went through to do what He had to do to His Son, that God the Son went through to have His Father make Him suffer like He did. Never will we know the pain that They felt. But They did it. And they did it for the dropouts, losers, sinners, failures, and fools who deserve nothing but death.

As I mull over these things, mull with me. I'll tell you it's better than sleeping in.

No comments: